Friday, October 10, 2014

APOD 1.7

Lunar Eclipse

For this week's APOD post, I am actually combining two posts from the Astronomy Picture of the Day website.  I am focusing on the lunar eclipse that just took place this Wednesday.  

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download
 the highest resolution version available.

In the first image, the eclipse is seen above the Pacific Ocean and Chilean coast.  The moon is still in Earth's shadow in this photograph.  This eclipse took place October 8, 2014 pre-dawn (so approximately 6:30 AM onward) Another image of this same eclipse is displayed in another offical  APOD post...


...in this photograph you can actually see Uranus and its moons in the bottom right corner (the white dots).  This photograph was taken in California, but it is of the same lunar eclipse as I mentioned earlier.  I did attempt to view this lunar eclipse but unfortunately the sky above my location was too cloudy to identify anything (refer to my most recent observation post).  Next time!
Godspeed,
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment